Monday, April 30, 2007

Should I run a race without training?

Here's a question for all you sports enthusiasts. Should someone run a race without training? No, not a 5k or 10k (that would be 3.1 or 6.2 miles respectively), I'm talking half-marathon distance or longer. First off let me just say that if you can run (and complete) a marathon without training, then you're amazing. In fact, you should donate your time to help "train" those of us who would never attempt such a foolish, I mean nearly impossible, task.

Back to the half-marathon. I've run four half marathons, one marathon, several 10 milers, plus hundreds of training miles. So here's the whole reason for the post: I'm sick of training. I have no time to run during the week, and frankly my neighborhood is a boring place to run so I'm unmotivated. I've known about this race for over a year, and though I started training I got sick of running indoors (the only place I can run and still have childcare), so I opted for the untrained method of running a race--prayer, carb-loading, and more prayer. The prayers consisted of "please Lord, if I'm going to blow out a knee let it be the left one so I can still drive home." "Dear Lord, help me not to come in last." "Dear Lord, please help me to finish this in less than two hours--okay, then how about less than 2 1/2 hours."

Yesterday morning I was in Oklahoma City where I ran the Memorial half. I didn't hit my two hour request, and I sure didn't feel good. Not the same way that I didn't feel good during the Rock-n-Roll half (WAY too many people around to get in "the groove", not enough bands playing--"we're taking a break"-- and the infamous boardwalk, where you can see, but not touch, the finish line for 3 very long miles). I didn't feel good because even though I'm physically fit, I'm not in good running shape.

So, to answer this nagging question: no, I should not run another long race without training. I've done it twice (not training for a long race), and now my 31 year old self is paying the price. Ouch, my lower back hurts and I smell like an old person with all the mentholated cremes I'm using. My gait is that of a person who spent a week riding a horse only (thankfully) not nearly as bow-legged. My hips feel as if they need replacing, and my mental state is that of, well, someone who didn't train and expected too much from themselves!

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a bad race, it was just hard, and I was a baby at the end. My poor friend Kristen (who ran circles around me), had to pull me along. Hey, one good thing is that not only did I finish, it wasn't my worst time. Even better than that, I got to spend an entire weekend with great friends,eat amazing food (absolutely the best tamales, ever!), and help a city remember those who died in the bombing 12 years ago!

So, long story short, I love OKC, it's people and yes, I suppose even its race! Maybe I'll even try it again next year, but not without at least some time pounding the pavement!

No comments: