Monday, April 23, 2007

Gator Head, Gator Head where are you?!

Living in my garage that's where!

Having a five year old son can be very interesting, really. He just celebrated what we've come to lovingly call his "Big Toe" birthday. If you can't figure it out, well, I'm not sure what to tell ya! Okay, so for the first time in well, five years (imagine that) Graham's been interested in something other than airplanes. You don't mind if I brag a little do you--of course you don't! This little ball of wonder can name over 100 different aircraft just by seeing parts of the planes. He's been known to stump seasoned pilots, and his own mother (not really that difficult).

Anyway, back to alligators and birthdays. So, this year Graham wanted an alligator/crocodile birthday--with some snakes thrown in for good measure--so I eagerly obliged. He got the gator cake (which was easy since we spent his birthday in Tampa,FL with Aunt Mel, Bodart and Evyn--hi guys--you're famous or infamous!), the life-like moving snake toy, alligator candies, and yes even a real, "preserved" alligator head. What five year old wouldn't be satisfied? Yes, my son was, but as stated previously this was his "Big Toe" birthday so we had to go one step deeper into the marsh (a little gator humor if you'll pardon me). Graham had, through many nights of sleep and eating vegetables earned a trip to Gatorland in Orlando, FL!! Yes, there's more in Orlando than princesses and rat ears.

Skip to four days post trip. My precious son and daughter needed baths. My loving husband, being that he was in Japan, was sort of unavailable to help. So, while said son was playing with his new Diego bath toys, I thought I'd be nice and retrieve his comfy jammies from his armoir. As soon as I opened that armoir door, a smell like no other slapped me in the face, pulled my hair, curled it and sent me gagging down the stairs with one rotting gator head!! No lie--that "preserved" gator sat in my son's armoir with all his t-shirts and jammies--for several days. Thank the LORD for Lysol and a strong stomach, due to many years watching medical shows!!

Now I get to decide what needs to happen with the head. Do I toss it and scar my child for life? Throw it outside and attract every animal in Shelby County onto my small, but clean property? Or do I just allow it to live in the garage where my cat will--yeah right--kill any small rodents stupid or brazen enough to drop by for a sniff? Decisions, Decisions! Ooh, I just thought of another--it could just get "broken in our move". Yes, we're moving, to San Diego, but that's an entirely separate post.

1 comment:

Jen said...

EEEWWWW! What is it with you and animals and rodents?!?

Another of the many reasons I am thankful for girls!