Monday, March 17, 2008

My Newest Cookbook

I just recently had a birthday and one of my gifts was Julia Child's book Mastering the Art of French Cooking. It's a fantastic book full of excellent ideas, and detailed directions. In fact I can hardly wait to break it out and cook me some French food!

So while contemplating what delectible treat I'd make first (that is after Corned Beef and Cabbage in honor of St. Pat), I began to flip through the 684 pages. While As I was glancing through the many chapters (which are in both English and French) one caught my eye: Ris de Veau et Cervelles. Translated: Sweetbreads and Brains. I actually laughed picturing my poor husband (and kids) choking down a cow's brain. Then while researching this a bit more I found the following tips (thank you Julia Child, I give you full and complete credit for the following, I would never consider myself a good enough writer to take credit for making brains sound interesting--or appetizing).

"Although calf brains are those most universally known in America, lamb brains are equally good. Mutton, pork, and beef brains are less delicate in texture than calf brains and are best when braised, but you may saute them if you wish."

Honestly, I had no idea that brains were sold in the US (okay, maybe in "specialty" shops), let alone known universally! All who have eaten brain, please say aye.

Thankfully the next chapter is about vegetables--never thought I'd find veggies to be a comfort food (as in I'm far more comfortable soaking and peeling carrots than I would ever be brains (which is a step one much take, even with delicate calf brains)!

Until next time...

No comments: